The Wellness Q&A with Elaine Moore

Welcome to the Wellness Q&A where members can ask Elaine Moore any health-related question. Moore is a medical writer and retired clinical laboratory scientist with over 30 years experience in immunology. Get started by selecting Member Questions. This is a question-and-answer forum, and each thread represents a member question or set of questions. The question will only appear once it's answered. Thank you for joining.

Lab Results
Last Post 16 Nov 2021 07:49 PM by Elaine Moore. 1 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
GinaVUser is Offline New Member New Member Posts:
--
08 Nov 2021 12:05 PM
    Hi Elaine,

I'm so sorry to hear that you've gone through cancer treatment and I'm hoping your making great strides through your recovery. I was not aware that the radioactive removal of the thyroid caused cancer and am so sorry your going through that. I have posted on your forum a few years ago and much has happened during that time including my own cancer struggle with lung cancer in 2017. Fortunately, I only needed to have my upper lung lobe removed. No chemo or radiation this time unlike, breast cancer in 2001. It took a couple of years to feel recovered, knocked the wind out of me, literally. Of course I'll continue to have breathing issues. I also moved in the past 3 years to Florida from PA and had to start finding physicians again. Ughh! Life is hard.

I'm feeling better but have been struggling with thyroid issues again. Thyroid was removed in 2013 d/t Graves and I have been on Armour Thyroid of 105mgs daily. I been on that amount for at least three years. I do have a PCP who has been working with me and I just requested an increase in medication. Hopefully, he will see the need. I just wanted to see if you would mind reviewing my labs to help me to know what direction I should look to head in with increasing the medication. Although PCP has agreed to work with me I'm not always convinced he has total confidence in truly working with Armour Thyroid.

Some of my symptoms have been fatigued, no motivation, feeling a low grade depression (dysthymia), brittle nails, weight gain, dry skin and TED issues have started again such as blood shot eyes and overall not feeling well.

Thyroid levels were checked 7/19/21
    TSH 1.95 uIU/ml
    Free T4 .6 ng/dl
    Free T3 2.42 pg/ml

Most recent levels on 11/1/21
    TSH 2.57 uIU/ml
    Free T4 .7 ng/dl
    Free T3 2.52 pg/ml

I appreciate you and all you do for everyone on your Forum. I am also grateful that you have this Forum to offer to those of us who struggle with symptoms that physicians want to chalk up as mental health issues. We have your place to go to who we can trust in giving this information to and know we will not be judged and that you understand us. It gives me great comfort to know your here. Thank you again for all you do! Gina
    Elaine MooreUser is Offline Veteran Member Veteran Member Posts:3836
    --
    16 Nov 2021 07:49 PM
    Hi Gina,
    PCP's, especially family practice physicians, can manage thyroid disorders nicely. Yours however may be looking at TSH when he or she needs to look at FT4 and FT3. Your last labs show that you're hypothyroid since your FT4 is below the range. For optimal thyroid function your FT4 should be near the high end of the range. If you had a full thyroidectomy you probably need to be on at least 2 grains of Armour (120 mg). We have 10-20 times more FT4 than FT3 so your symptoms fit with your lab results.
    I'm sorry you've had to deal with cancer too. It really does take its toll but when we win the battle it's definitely worth it. Best to you, Elaine

Also don't worry if TSH falls since it's unusual to see a TSH higher than 0.4 in individuals with adequate treatment for hypothyroidism. My TSH runs less than .07
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

This site best viewed in: Google Chrome, MS Edge, and Firefox. Turn off ad blockers and DuckDuckGo to view Elaine's books.

Graves' Disease and Autoimmune Disease Education
    Copyrighted by Elaine Moore © 2008-2022   |   All Rights Reserved. All writing and images copyrighted. 
    Copyright Notices and Disclaimer

The Elaine-Moore.com site was developed and designed by VESWeb.com