The Wellness Q&A with Elaine Moore

Welcome to the Wellness Q&A where members can ask Elaine Moore any health-related question. Moore is a medical writer and retired clinical laboratory scientist with over 30 years experience in immunology. Get started by selecting Member Questions. This is a question-and-answer forum, and each thread represents a member question or set of questions. The question will only appear once it's answered. Thank you for joining.

Lab Results and Dosage
Last Post 06 Jun 2021 01:34 PM by Elaine Moore. 1 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
MichelleUser is Offline New Member New Member Posts:
--
04 Jun 2021 12:43 PM
    Elaine, I've read your update and am sorry to hear about your diagnosis. My prayers and thoughts are with you and your family.

Thank you for reading my question and thank you again for your responses to my last questions. I've dropped down to 2.5mg of Methimazole and am assuming I've adjusted to it since I've been it for 6 weeks. I feel better but I'm still experiencing some odd symptoms I haven't had before: more mood swings than normal, waking up in a cold sweat a few times a week and brain fog/confusion along with a lot of hair loss. Is this a good time to drop down to 1.25mg per day with labs a few weeks after? If the goal is to keep FT4 at the high end of the range, this makes sense to me. My TSI hasn't been tested since January 2021 and I figure it doesn't need to be tested again right now. Blood levels are below.

Thank you for taking the time to read and answer our questions, it's truly a blessing.

Prayers again to you and your family.
    Michelle

6/2 Most Recent
    TSH 1.38 (0.44-3.98)
    FT4 1.03 (0.78-1.48)
    *2.5mg Methimazole

4/19
    TSH 2.6 (0.44-3.98)
    FT4 0.6 (0.61-1.12)
    *5mg Methimazole

3/29
    TSH 1.59 (0.44-3.98)
    FT4 0.5 (0.61-1.12)
    *10mg Methimazole but dropped to 5mg 2 days prior to labs because of symptoms

3/3
    TSH 0.01 (0.44-3.98)
    FT4 0.8 (0.61-1.12)
    *10mg Methimazole

1/25
    TSH 0.01 (0.44-3.98)
    FT4 1.4 (0.61-1.12)
    TSI 6.1 <= 1.3
    Elaine MooreUser is Offline Veteran Member Veteran Member Posts:3674
    --
    06 Jun 2021 01:34 PM
    Hi Michelle,
    Thank you for your kind words and prayer.
    Your labs suggest that you could be in remission. Since TSI was fairly high in January you probably want to continue on meds using 1.25 mg daily or every other day. It would be good to have a TSI sometime before stopping meds but it's likely that you have blocking TSH receptor antibodies that are preventing TSI from attaching to the TSH receptor and causing hyperthyroidism.
    If you were diagnosed in January it's possible that you had thyroiditis instead of or along with Graves' disease considering how quickly you responded to meds. Best, Elaine
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

This site best viewed in: 
    Google Chrome, MS Edge, and Firefox. Turn off ad blockers and DuckDuckGo to view Elaine's books.

Graves' Disease and Autoimmune Disease Education
    Copyrighted by Elaine Moore © 2008-2021   |   All Rights Reserved. All writing and images copyrighted. 

Copyright Notices and Disclaimer

The Elaine-Moore.com site was developed and designed by VESWeb.com