The Wellness Q&A with Elaine Moore

Welcome to the Wellness Q&A where members can ask Elaine Moore any health-related question. Moore is a medical writer and retired clinical laboratory scientist with over 30 years experience in immunology. Get started by selecting Member Questions. This is a question-and-answer forum, and each thread represents a member question or set of questions. The question will only appear once it's answered. Thank you for joining.

Covid Vaccine
Last Post 05 Apr 2021 12:39 PM by Elaine Moore. 1 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
rajarajaUser is Offline New Member New Member Posts:
--
02 Apr 2021 07:11 PM
    Hi Elaine,
    I am eligible for Astra/Oxford vaccine. Although my hormone levels are normal so far (except TSH), TRAb last month was 31.3 (<=1.8IU/L). Mild TED has started to appear (dry, gritty, heavy eyelid etc.). Will the surge in antibodies due to vaccine make TED very bad? What precautions should I take?

I am taking Selenium (100mg) and Acetyl-L-carnitine (1g) daily, hoping to reduce thyroid antibodies. Will this reduce Covid antibodies as well? Do I need to stop taking them? Thank you.
    Elaine MooreUser is Offline Veteran Member Veteran Member Posts:3607
    --
    05 Apr 2021 12:39 PM
    Hi,
    Your TRAb level will likely rise after the vaccine. Taking 200 mcg of selenium and 2 grams of aceryl-l-carnitine may help without lowering Covid antibodies.
    There hasn’t been enough research on the effects on thyroid antibodies to say how this will affect TED. You might want to check with your ophthalmologist and see if you should wait on the vaccine until you can lower thyroid antibodies. Like if you have seasonal allergies you’d want to get them in good control and you’d want to avoid all environmental triggers like excess dietary iodine, cigarette smoke, artificial sweeteners, food allergens etc.
    most reports of increased thyroid antibodies are based on the Pfizer, Moderna and Janssen vaccines so it,s possible that astra’s vaccine could cause a greater or lower thyroid antibody effect.
    Best to you, Elaine
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

This site best viewed in: 
    Google Chrome, MS Edge, and Firefox. Turn off ad blockers and DuckDuckGo to view Elaine's books.

Elaine-Moore.com   |   Elaine Moore Graves' Disease and Autoimmune Disease Education
    Copyrighted by Elaine Moore © 2008-2021 All Rights Reserved. All writing and images copyrighted.
    Copyright Notices and Disclaimer

Site developed and designed by VESWEB