The Wellness Q&A with Elaine Moore

Welcome to the Wellness Q&A where members can ask Elaine Moore any health-related question. Moore is a medical writer and retired clinical laboratory scientist with over 30 years experience in immunology. Get started by selecting Member Questions. This is a question-and-answer forum, and each thread represents a member question or set of questions. The question will only appear once it's answered. Thank you for joining.

Search for Psychiatrist plus Endocrinologist in one
Last Post 17 Jan 2021 07:20 PM by Elaine Moore. 1 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
For_my_girlUser is Offline New Member New Member Posts:
--
17 Jan 2021 04:49 AM
    My daughter (20yrs) has Graves Disease (hyperthyroid, autoimmune) which presented before diagnosis as mild bipolar.

During her first term at University, she took a cocktail of recreational drugs resulting in severe Psychosis. She was in A&E for 5 days and then sectioned and detained in hospital for a further 15 days. She was discharged 8/1/21 and is improving but still suffering from psychotic episodes, delusions etc.

I am desperately looking for one doctor that is familiar with both Endocrine (specifically Graves) and Psychiatric disorders and the interplay and can help to balance her medication and guide us through the convalescence.

Could anyone recommend someone with this dual speciality?

Much gratitude,

Worried Mum.
    Elaine MooreUser is Offline Veteran Member Veteran Member Posts:3567
    --
    17 Jan 2021 07:20 PM
    Hi,
    Are you certain of the Graves’ diagnosis or could it be the treatment? Psychosis can occur if treatment for hyperthyroidism causes thyroid hormone level to fall rapidly. I’m not sure what country you’re in but you mat find an endo with a background in psychiatry although a good psychiatrist might understand the psychiatric manifestations of thyroid disorders better. Go to PubMed to find journal articles on this topic. This can sometimes lead to experts in the field that you can contact. Best, Elaine
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Elaine-Moore.com   |   Elaine Moore Graves' Disease and Autoimmune Disease Education
    Copyrighted by Elaine Moore © 2008-2021 All Rights Reserved. All writing and images copyrighted.
    Copyright Notices and Disclaimer

Site developed and designed by VESWEB