The Wellness Q&A with Elaine Moore

Welcome to the Wellness Q&A where members can ask Elaine Moore any health-related question. Moore is a medical writer and retired clinical laboratory scientist with over 30 years experience in immunology. Get started by selecting Member Questions. This is a question-and-answer forum, and each thread represents a member question or set of questions. The question will only appear once it's answered. Thank you for joining.

NEW RELEASE
APRIL 2020

T3 Toxicosis
Last Post 14 Nov 2020 07:20 PM by Elaine Moore. 1 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
barnafossUser is Offline New Member New Member Posts:
--
12 Nov 2020 03:15 PM
    Hello Elaine,

Thank you so much for all of the information you provide.

I am trying to get my Grave's Disease under control using natural methods. One year ago, my eyes started to swell and bulge and I had symptoms including tremor, nausea, weight loss, muscle weakness, heart palpitations, and racing heart that became really bad during my winter travels. Unfortunately, I did not do lab tests when I had these symptoms. All of these symptoms went away when I started taking bugleweed, motherwort and lemon balm. These past few months, I have been feeling really great with minimal symptoms apart from the eye disease (which stopped progressing and has actually gotten a bit better, but I still have some edema and bulging) and enlarged goiter.

My Lab Results from August 2020:

T4,Free(Direct) 0.66 ng/dL (0.82-1.77)
    Triiodothyronine (T3), Free 12.8 pg/mL (2.0-4.4)
    TSH <0.005 (0.450-4.500)
    Reverse T3 11.9 ng/dL (9.2-24.1)
    Thyroxine (T4) 3.7 ug/dL (4.5-12.0)
    Thyroglobulin Antibody 353.2 IU/mL (0.0-0.9)
    Thyroid Peroxidase (TPO) Ab 418 IU/mL (0-34)

Lab Results from November 2020 (I only did free T4 and T3 to see how things were going):

T4,Free(Direct) 0.37 ng/dL (0.82-1.77)
    Triiodothyronine (T3), Free 9.7 pg/mL (2.0-4.4)

I do not want to take medication at the moment because my symptoms are under control and I feel really good. My heart beats an average of 75-80 bpm at rest and often much less, and doesn't go above 110 unless I'm exercising or doing something active. I sleep very well. My vitamin D and B12 levels are normal. I realize, though, that my T4 needs to be much higher and my T3 levels need to come down more. I am thinking that I should try increasing the dose of motherwort as it inhibits T4 to T3 conversion, and add small amounts of iodine from seaweed not exceeding recommended daily amounts as I have been avoiding iodine this past year. I have been taking a selenium and coq10 supplement these past few weeks and don't know if I should stop because selenium increases T4 to T3 conversion. I was wondering if you know of other natural things that decrease the T4 to T3 conversion.

And here are some things that I think contributed to my disease progression. I have been eating a healthy vegan diet for the past 5 years, and was doing intermittent fasting since 2018 not including this year. I was basically eating one big meal a day spread out to 4 hours or less, which I thought was healthy at the time, but ultimately stressed my body out too much. I also read that carbohydrates are needed by the thyroid and I ate a lot more fats and lower carb when intermittent fasting. Now, I am eating a lot more carbohydrates and feel much better and more energized. I also drank a lot of Japanese green tea these past three years, which also could have contributed to the disease because of the caffeine stimulant and fluoride content of the tea. I have been caffeine free for the past half a year. One other major factor that I believe to have triggered my disease is that I was religiously taking long, very cold showers and ice baths for one year up until I had noticeable hyperthyroid symptoms. The stress from the cold stimulus could have easily messed some things up. When looking back at pictures, I think I started to develop a goiter one and a half years ago, about four to five months after starting the cold therapy.

Thank you for reading this and offering your advice, Elaine. I know that my case is more difficult to treat using natural methods because of T3 toxicosis, but I really hope that I can achieve remission before resorting to beta blockers or block and replace therapy.

Elaine MooreUser is Offline Veteran Member Veteran Member Posts:3478
    --
    14 Nov 2020 07:20 PM
    Hi,
    It’s good that you follow a healthy lifestyle. But if you eat a lot of goitrogens they may be contributing to your low FT4. And your low FT4 is causing your goiter.

FT4 and FT3 are measured in different units of measurement. Think of FT4 as pounds and FT3 as ounces. We have 10-20 times as much FT4 as FT3. So a low FT4 will affect you more even though T3 is more potent.

FT3 is also the lab parameter most likely to be falsely elevated by heterophile and other anti-human antibodies. These antibodies don’t harm us but they can really mess up hormone assays. They’re often seen in people with close contact to or who grew up with animals other than dogs and cats

Since you have no hyper symptoms and your results don’t make sense they would be considered erratic. To resolve the problem you could have an FT3 by dialysis test, which removes interfering proteins. You could also have a total T3 test and if FT3 is really high The T3 result would also be high. From the reference range you listed with your results yours was an FT3 test.

Another possibility is that one of your supplements contains T3. T3 isn’t regulated but T4 replacement hormone is. T3 is in many over the counter thyroid boosters or strengtheners or metabolic enhancers.

I’d first off cut back on the bugleweed to bring your FT4 back into range. Read some of my articles on goitrogens and make sure you’re not eating more than 1.5 cups daily. These include squash, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, plums, grapes, kohlrabi, almonds, soy and peanuts.

Then consider if any of your supplements might contain triiodothyronine (T3) even if it’s not listed. Then have a T3 test or an FT3 by dialysis. The latter has to be sent to a reference lab so results take longer.
    Let us know how it turns out. Best, elaine
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Elaine-Moore.com   |   Elaine Moore Graves' Disease and Autoimmune Disease Education
    Copyrighted by Elaine Moore © 2008-2020 All Rights Reserved. All writing and images copyrighted.
    Copyright Notices and Disclaimer