The Wellness Q&A with Elaine Moore

Welcome to the Wellness Q&A where members can ask Elaine Moore any health-related question. Moore is a medical writer and retired clinical laboratory scientist with over 30 years experience in immunology. Get started by selecting Member Questions. This is a question-and-answer forum, and each thread represents a member question or set of questions. The question will only appear once it's answered. Thank you for joining.

NEW RELEASE
APRIL 2020

Recommendation on diet and supplements
Last Post 11 Oct 2020 07:44 PM by Elaine Moore. 1 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
SinghUser is Offline New Member New Member Posts:
--
08 Oct 2020 04:42 PM
    Hi Elaine,
    Thanks for answering my question to the topic dated on 02 Oct 2020. I have a couple more questions. Can you provide any guideline on diet. I have changed my diet and cut out all the processed foods. I am eating beans of different variety (I buy them raw and boil them), vegetables, instead of gluten I use coconut flour and sprouted brown rice flour for bread and cauliflower rice. Once a week I may eat organic chicken breast or lamb, but I am thinking about cutting that too. The supplements I am taking are as follows:

3000mg Omega 3 from Fish Oil as recommended by my Naturopath
    1 tsp flax seed
    8 tsp pumpkin seeds
    3000IU Vitamin D

and

2 brazil nuts every day in the morning, soaked overnight in water.

Coriander seeds soaked in water and then boiled, strained and I drink the water.

Prior to being diagnosed with Graves disease, I was eating a lot of junk food. I was trying to get healthy as I am an amateur cyclist and I was intermittent fasting, but I was cheating daily and eating gluten and junk food like chocolate etc (I am also celiac).

I am still puzzled as to what caused graves disease. On July 15th, I went on a cycling ride which was extremely exhausting and I ended up dehydrated and after that ride in a matter of few days my graves disease symptoms occurred and I had to go to the emergency after 14 days. Do you think the intense cycling working out caused the graves disease or was it the poor diet?

I had also posted my TSH Receptor Antibody test. The results came out 5.4IU/l, the limit is 2.0 I think. Do you think this is a high number of antibodies or would you consider this mild or low.

Based on my test results, what are my chances of remission and what are my chances that I will be able to maintain remission?

As per the last test results my TSH rose very high and I am now hypothyroid. Do you think if I just discontinue the methimazole, the TSH will be able to regulate my thyroid?

What is your opinion about bugleweed tea and Acetyl-L-Carnitine. I have heard bugleweed tea decreases the antibodies. Should I experiment with bugleweed tea? I have acetyl-L-carnitine but haven't taken yet.

This disease has thrown a wrench in my athletic plans and my life in general. I feel terrible about myself and life in general, as I am a very health conscious and a fitness fanatic person.
    Elaine MooreUser is Offline Veteran Member Veteran Member Posts:3448
    --
    11 Oct 2020 07:44 PM
    Hi,
    Long distance running and high endurance sports can trigger Graves' disease.
    Don't stop your meds although with a high TSH the dose needs to be reduced. Once you're off meds your thyroid hormone levels will rise and TSH will fall. Your TSI result confirms active Graves' disease. Without meds your levels of FT4 and FT3 will rise. You want to be on the lowest drug dose needed to keep FT4 near the high end of the reference range even with a low TSH.
    Bugleweed has anti-thyroid properties and works well. Like MMI and carb, it also reduces TSH receptor antibodies. Once you're on an optimal drug dose, you can lower it and add bugleweed tea but it's too soon to guess at how much tea you'd need to keep your levels in range. Acetyl-l-carnitine also helps reduce thyroid antibodies and by doing so it reduces thyroid hormone levels. It doesn't directly lower the levels. You also need CoQ10 for your muscles as the lowest levels are seen in hyperthyroidism. You can achieve remission but it won't happen overnight.

Your dietary changes are good but don't get stressed out trying to be perfect here. Some people are sensitive to lectins in beans so you might want to branch out some and find other protein sources and see if there's a difference. Don't feel terrible because this is a self-limiting autoimmune disease and there might be a reason for a break from athletics. I'm currently researching prostate cancer and have been surprised by the number of patients who ride bicycles competitively and also motorcycles. It could be a coincidence but the number is striking. Best, Elaine
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Elaine-Moore.com   |   Elaine Moore Graves' Disease and Autoimmune Disease Education
    Copyrighted by Elaine Moore © 2008-2020 All Rights Reserved. All writing and images copyrighted.
    Copyright Notices and Disclaimer