The Wellness Q&A with Elaine Moore

Welcome to the Wellness Q&A where members can ask Elaine Moore any health-related question. Moore is a medical writer and retired clinical laboratory scientist with over 30 years experience in immunology. Get started by selecting Member Questions. This is a question-and-answer forum, and each thread represents a member question or set of questions. The question will only appear once it's answered. Thank you for joining.

How much Acetyl L Carnitine to add to my ATD
Last Post 08 Sep 2019 10:02 PM by Elaine Moore. 1 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
CyndalaUser is Offline New Member New Member Posts:
--
08 Sep 2019 08:39 AM
    Hi Elaine,
    Sorry for the additional question, but I am trying to determine the correct/safe dosage of acetyl l-carnitine to take with my 7.5mg (daily) of methimazole. My labs, which I am sharing below, were done last week -- and my endocrinologist called to say they are "perfect." My hyperthyroid condition is caused by nodules (which have been checked recently with ultrasound).

While I do feel better, generally speaking, I still have some "hyper" symptoms, including digestive issues (controlled with low dose of Imodium), some anxiety, occasional insomnia, and puffiness around the eyes (which my ophthalmologist pointed out last week). I am not miserable -- but something tells me that everything isn't "perfect" except my endo's opinion of the lab results.

I am wondering if adding acetyl l-carnitine would help my residual symptoms -- plus I understand there are other benefits in taking acetyl l-carnitine?

As mentioned above, I take 7.5mg daily of methimazole, and my endocrinologist has mentioned in the past that he could lower that ATD dose, but has decided to keep me on the same dosage anyway.

Here are my lab results as of last week:

TSH: 1.44 mcIU/ml RANGE: 0.40 - 4.50
    FREE T4: 0.9 ng/dl RANGE: 0.7 - 1.5
    FREE T3: 2.5 pg/ml RANGE:1.7 - 3.7

How much acetyl L-carnitine would be safe for me to add, and how often would I have this checked? My endocrinologist says he only needs to do labs on me every 6 months.
    Thank you,
    Cindy
    Elaine MooreUser is Offline Veteran Member Veteran Member Posts:3123
    --
    08 Sep 2019 10:02 PM
    Hi Cindy,
    I'm glad you posted your lab results. Your low FT4 is likely responsible for your puffy eyes. Ideally, your FT4 would be around 1.4.
    You can safely take 1,000 mg of acetyl-l-carnitine. It doesn't lower your thyroid hormone levels but it works by lowering thyroid antibodies and reducing symptoms of hyperthyroidism. so that would help with the jitteriness you mentioned. Oddly enough, many symptoms of hyperthyroidism overlap with those of hypothyroidism. While nervousness is more common in hyperthyroidism, anxiety and depression are more likely to occur in hypothyroidism.
    You wouldn't need an acetyl-carnitine level although if you notice any change in signs or symptoms (with or without the use of ACL) you can call the office and see if you can have labs sooner. best, elaine
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

ELAINE-MOORE.COM
    Elaine Moore Graves' Disease and Autoimmune Disease Education 

Copyrighted by Elaine Moore © 2008-2019 All Rights Reserved. All writing and images copyrighted.
    Copyright Notices and Disclaimer