The Wellness Q&A with Elaine Moore

Welcome to the Wellness Q&A where members can ask Elaine Moore any health-related question. Moore is a medical writer and retired clinical laboratory scientist with over 30 years experience in immunology. Get started by selecting Member Questions. This is a question-and-answer forum, and each thread represents a member question or set of questions. The question will only appear once it's answered. Thank you for joining.

Labs after breast radiation
Last Post 20 May 2024 10:20 PM by Elaine Moore. 1 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
SimonUser is Offline New Member New Member Posts:
--
06 May 2024 08:33 PM
    Hi Elaine, hope you are doing well.

After being diagnosed in nov with breast cancer and having surgery followed by radiation I have been feeling tired, weak, constipated, heart palpitations, cramps etc.. Which I know could be side effects of all my body has been through even though its been 3 months since completing treatment.

My current labs are
    TSH 3.84 (.34-4.82)
    FT4. 2.63 (2-3.5)
    FT3 1.03 (.65-1.44)
    I am currently taking Synthroid only, 150 Monday and Friday and 137 the other 5 days.

I'm thinking I need to increase. Finally have a Dr willing to prescribe whatever I want.
    What do you recommend?
    Thanks so much
    Simon

( 65 yr ,female, graves diagnosed in 2017 followed by rai.)
    Elaine MooreUser is Offline Veteran Member Veteran Member Posts:4084
    --
    20 May 2024 10:20 PM
    Hi Simon,
    Your FT4 is ok but your FT3 is likely too low for your body's needs. You can tell this from your TSH. Most people on optimal replacement hormone rarely have a TSH higher than 0.4. Those of us who have had RAI produce higher levels of TSI antibodies so often have very low TSH levels. TSI antibodies falsely lower the TSH result.
    Also, while most patients get by on Synthroid alone by 6 years after RAI most patients need both T4 and T3 replacement hormone. I'm on Armour thyroid, which contains T4, T3, T2 and T1, and I felt much like you're describing until I started Armour. Another option is to add T3 (Cytomel). Ask your endo about either of these options. Hope your new doctor agrees. Best, Elaine
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

ELAINE-MOORE.COM
    Graves' Disease and Autoimmune Disease Education
    Copyrighted by Elaine Moore © 2008-2025   |   All Rights Reserved. All writing and images copyrighted.
    Copyright Notices and Disclaimers  Designed & Developed by VESWEB Using DNN 2008