The Wellness Q&A with Elaine Moore

Welcome to the Wellness Q&A where members can ask Elaine Moore any health-related question. Moore is a medical writer and retired clinical laboratory scientist with over 30 years experience in immunology. Get started by selecting Member Questions. This is a question-and-answer forum, and each thread represents a member question or set of questions. The question will only appear once it's answered. Thank you for joining.

How to prevent relapse
Last Post 20 May 2024 09:51 PM by Elaine Moore. 1 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
jeja@protonmail.comUser is Offline New Member New Member Posts:
--
04 May 2024 10:06 AM
    Dear Elaine,

8 months after getting off methimazole, my TSH has become abnormal and T4 is rising. Is there anything I can do at this point to prevent the relapse?

My diet is Graves-friendly. In the past, herbal intervention did not help. I use meditation to help with stress.

Lower doses of methimazole maybe?

I hope your own health is stable.

Many thanks! Ela

LABS
    May 3 , 2024
    TSH: 0.13 (0.45 - 5.33) mIU/L
    T4: 1.57(0.89 - 1.76 ng/dL)

April 9.
    TSH: 0.8(0.4 – 4.5 μIU/ml)
    free T4: 1.2 (0.8-1.8) ng/dL

March 22:
    TSH: .51 (0.4 – 4.5 μIU/ml)
    freeT4: 1.2 (0.8-1.8) ng/dL

February 20:
    TSH: .94 (0.4 – 4.5 μIU/ml)
    freeT4: 1.2 (0.8-1.8) ng/dL
    TSI: 177 (<140) was normal in November
    Elaine MooreUser is Offline Veteran Member Veteran Member Posts:4084
    --
    20 May 2024 09:51 PM
    Hi,
    So sorry to be slow but we had multiple power outages.
    Your FT4 rose and TSH fell but this can happen if you had Covid or a relate viral infection. You're not ready to resume MMI based on these labs and you're doing all the right things. You could check to make sure your 25OH vitamin D is optimal as low levels are associated with increased thyroid antibodies, and a rise in TSI antibodies is what causes relapses. Aloe vera has been reported to lower thyroid antibodies in Hashimoto's thyroiditis, and reports indicate it can reduce all thyroid antibodies. Several Graves' patients have seen a decrease in TSI after adding aloe vera to their supplements. I always have a TSI so I'm going to add Aloe Vera today. I have capsules but haven't taken them in a while. Many patients have warded off relapse by cutting out grains because of the pesticides found in grains. I hope this helps. Best, Elaine

You are not authorized to post a reply.

ELAINE-MOORE.COM
    Graves' Disease and Autoimmune Disease Education
    Copyrighted by Elaine Moore © 2008-2025   |   All Rights Reserved. All writing and images copyrighted.
    Copyright Notices and Disclaimers  Designed & Developed by VESWEB Using DNN 2008